Friday, August 3, 2012

Olympics: Beach Volleyball



There are no words. It is not a sport, it is a spectacle: the most amazingly fun, sports-themed, music-filled, rowdy crowd event. It was Olympics-lite for the non-believers (like me). It was sandy and sexy. I loved every minute.

The announcer was the voice of X-Factor and between sets the beach dancers in cute 50s style bikinis (not enough men in my opinion) came out to do fun routines keeping the crowd entertained. The setting was fantastic; it's the only Olympic site that puts you in the heart of London – and from our seats we had a view not only of the games but also Big Ben, the London Eye, Westminster Abbey, and Number 10 Downing Street. At one point in the evening, the X-Factor guy said "We've just had a message from Number 10 - Mr Cameron wants an early night, but we're not going to let him BECAUSE WE'RE THE PARTY VENUE." Whoop whoop!

We saw three matches, Switzerland v Austria (mens), USA v Czech Republic (mens) and the lucky loser match (winner goes on to try to get a place in the final rounds) - GB v Austria (womens). We cheered until midnight, and I desperately wished I had brought my American flag. The Irishman and I left on cloud 9 with a mission to get as many tickets as possible for the rest of the games. I LOVE IT.















No comments:

Post a Comment